Monday 7 July 2014

Palestine - a personal perspective...



As mentioned in a previous post I have been honoured to spend time out in the West Bank both taking part in the Bet Lahem Live Festival and visiting local families during the daytime. My head has been buzzing with all that I saw and experienced and decided to collate some of the images from some of the UK team and create this little offering. I candidly admit although there is some very literal moments to match the lyrics it will be only fully understood by those that were there at the time.

For the full story on the house demolition read Justin Butcher's blog post on the Greenbelt Festival website here.

P

9 comments:

Arkle Bell said...

Visits like this change your outlook for ever. It's nearly 25 years since I visited Soweto and other South African townships. Staying in the heart of the struggle was a privilege. Hope it was the same for you Pete.

Wendy Dalrymple said...

Thanks for putting this together - I always struggle to articulate what I felt when I come back from the West Bank. Perfectly timed lyrics.

Peter Banks said...

Many thanks Arkle, always good to hear from you! Yes, I am a changed person and change is still in progress...

Thanks, too, Wendy, have to confess I am still struggling to find ways to express everything buzzing around in my head.

PB

Philip Ritchie said...

Thanks Pete, very powerful. Haven't been there since 2008 and much has changed. I love the distinction between tourist and pilgrim. A tourist passes through places, a pilgrim finds places passing through them. This is one of those places like many others in the land of the Holy One.

Sally said...

Really appreciate your posts and thoughts

Peter Banks said...

Cheers Phil, love the definition of a Pilgrim, resonates comfortably!

Thanks Sal, trust all is well with you?

Best, PB

Anonymous said...

On a less sober note, in the clip on Twitter where you are singing with Garth Hewitt and co, you appear to be wearing shorts circa British Army 1947 Middle East issue. Am I correct?

Anon

Peter Banks said...

...and I wondered why I drew some askance looks ;-)

Ok, own up, who owns such an eagle eye?!

Unknown said...

Very nice.
anniversary sms