Thursday 2 September 2010

Greenbelt Festival 2010 perspectives

 
Greenbelt is always a sea of surprises and stimulating encounters... 2010 was another great year and re-inforces my determination to never miss it!

Here are my initial responses:

Highlights:
1) Fr. Richard Rohr on the church
2) Watching the preview of the film 'Africa United'
3) Revd. Dr John Smith's talks which emphatically restated Greenbelt's original vision(s)
4) Shlomo's mainstage mini-set
5) The start and end of the communion service (i.e. unaccompanied singing with no band)

Surprises:
1) Giles Fraser on The English Civil War and the future of the Church of England
2) Martyn Atkins on Methodism and discipleship
3) Foy Vance bumped up to a mainstage set
4) How many talks I managed to attend!
5) Bumping into Clare Short and having a good chinwag

Lowlights:
1) The weather prior to the festival during set-up and the cold in the evenings!
2) Rock band style music in parts of the communion service
3) Many of the mainstage music acts
4) Confetti cannon during the communion service
5) Sensing 'beer and hymns' becoming more organised

Despite being involved as a contributor this year I did manage to attend a couple of Tweetups and was delighted to commune with some of my virtual 'friends' yet missed others altogether. Otherwise it was great to bump into friends from across the years and actually meet, for the first time, folk that I knew about and that knew me too, but until now...!

However, I do think Greenbelt needs to look carefully to ensure that aspects of the original vision that are still valid and distinctly 'Greenbelt' as some of this is in danger of being sidelined. I don't doubt the Greenbelt 'powers' will already be aware of this so I am not going to witter on here!

Greenbelt is for everybody... unless they're not keen on a bit of heaven?

Here's a perspective from a first time visitor: Do Christian Music Festivals Make You Want to Switch Religions?

And on the Greenbelt Blog today a gorgeous poem: 'If heaven (2)' by Rosie Miles

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Andrew said...

It was my first Greenbelt for many years - I'd never been to Cheltenham - and I only made it on Monday - but I was very impressed and will make the effort to get to more days next year.

I'd hoped there would be more Twitter activity. Will look out for Tweetups next year.

Peter Banks said...

Cheers Andrew, well done for coping with just one day, 1st time I went back after a few years was quite bewildered with everything all going on at once! On the Twitter front presumably you are following the #GB10 hashtag?

All the best and see you next year!

Andrew said...

Yes, followed #gb10 and contributed as @brookhouse - just thought there would have been a more active "backchannel".

I remember GB from Odell and Knebworth days so it was a novelty having some of the sessions indoors :-)

cath said...

I didn't make it to gb this year, and i really missed it...